I recently stumbled across a blog that offered this nugget of truth: “Don’t just drift through life. Live with intention and purpose.” I believe that is one of the most important lessons that a person can learn—and the sooner we get it, the better.
Living a simple life certainly requires intentional living.
We live in a world that is hectic, busy, and hurried, yet in the past year have seen what a life if simplicity looks like. We live in a culture that encourages selfishness and excess. And in a society that is rushing to gain more, satisfaction with less is counter-cultural. As a result, we have been taught that working more and having more is better. We have left our children in the hands of others to let others take over their education instead of being hands-on with what they are learning and how they are growing.
To begin living with intention, we must begin by laying a proper foundation and then add practical steps on top of it.
First, Lay the Foundation.
- Realize that your life is made up of choices. Every morning is a new day full of decisions and opportunities. You get to pick your attitude and your decisions. You have a say in what you want the future to look like and how you want to get there! You do not need to be stuck in the same pattern of living that you have been for years… realize that every morning is a new opportunity.
- Evaluate what is around you. Living with intention will require you to take a step back and evaluate the culture you are immersed in to determine where it is headed, how it is affecting you, and if it is taking you in a direction you desire. Do you have negative influence or toxic people in your world? You can change that…
- Examine yourself. I know this past year has offered me a gift in being able to grow and change by working on healing in body, spirit and mind. I am not done yet (are we ever?) and look forward to the ways I can thrive as a result. Give precious time and energy to this endeavor. It is one of the most valuable things you can do.
Second, Add Practical Steps.
- Decide to live your life. Show up. You need to show up and be an authentic YOU. Showing up is HARD. Trust me. I am working hard on doing this task more and better. I hear it comes easier… The value that you have to offer is like no one else and it is to be cherished.
- Define a purpose. We all have a purpose. A way to serve others and contribute to this crazy life in a unique and valuable way! Find a passion to live for that is bigger than yourself. Write it down. It will bring new meaning to your life.
- Set goals. Goals move us and goals shape us. Set goals that are directly in line with your defined purpose. By their very nature, they will introduce INTENTIONALITY into your life.
- Stay focused. We live in a world of constant connectivity and distraction. It is important to prioritize our time and turn off or remove what is not neccessary from our space. Look at the things (clutter, t.v., etc.) that are stealing your joy and robbing your energy so you can be living with intention.
- Learn from others. There are a lot of amazing and successful people out there! They are invested in self growth and know a few things to take note of. They also possess the humility to learn from others. Identify people accomplishing your purpose and goals. Then, study them and learn from them.
The worst thing you could ever waste is your life. Instead, commit yourself to intentional living and living with purpose. What are the ways you are living with more INTENTION as a learning from the past year?